Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Grab your пальто, we're goin' to Eastern Europe!


Okay all of you readers, here is your first russian language lesson...пальто (pronounced 'pal-toe' is russian for coat, an article of clothing I sure don't want to forget when I finish packing my 4 suitcases this week.
What has Sarah been up to for the last two weeks….packing

Lately, walking into the front guest room in our cozy bungalow is akin to walking into, if you could imagine, an FAO Schwartz toy store that exploded inside an REI sporting goods emporium. Try this sometime, just for kicks….try packing for a 10 month trip to a country whose weather patterns you don’t entirely understand, where you’ll be expected to bring gifts signifying American culture (this in and of itself is an enlightening exercise…what exactly is American Culture??), and where you’ll be conducting research at a yet undisclosed location and a yet undisclosed time….haha! Needless to say it hasn’t exactly been like packing for a weekend trip to Omaha.

Strangely, the chaos in my impromptu staging room seems to be indirectly related to the level of anxiousness I’ve been feeling about this trip. As I have been creating calm in the storm when it came to my luggage, it seems the chaos has morphed and multiplied into butterflies in my stomach.

However, the big One upstairs once again has intervened in a big way in my life today in the form of many loved ones and well wishes. I am suddenly very popular lately getting phone calls, emails and reminders of prayer petitions that I am now included in. Each breath of communication with all of you has gently but firmly swatted away a few of those butterflies that seemed to be multiplying in alarming number of late. I am reminded of my role in this journey as a vehicle for all of our talents, hopes, dreams and ambitions. I once heard a wonderful quote although the author’s name escapes me right now, it went something like this, “nervousness is a selfish emotion, the things we do that make us nervous are bigger than ourselves.” For me, this sentiment reminds me at this moment that I only have myself to stand in the way of the incredible things that this opportunity could create in so many lives. Many thanks to all of you who helped remind me today how connected we all are.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    All these emotions are part of the journey, and you should take a small step back and just let it sink in. Even the difficult times are just one part of your adventure and will make up a number of memories you will relive over and over again as you think back on this trip.
    You are going to do just great and I envy you and the help you are going to give to these little ones. Doing good always pays off in the long run even when you can't see it in the present.

    Karen and I know what you mean about bringing gifts. Same ordeal when adopting. Bring a gift for people you've never met in reference to a culture you're not sure of. Oh and make sure its meaninful. Good luck with that task.
    Karen Yelena and I are thinking of you and wishing you the best, but I know you will do fine, and also, have the time of your life.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete